Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

In 1868 Ann Jarvis created a committee to establish a "Mother's Friendship Day" whose purpose was "to reunite families that had been divided during the Civil War", and she wanted to expand it into an annual memorial for mothers, but she died in 1905 before the celebration became popular.

The holiday was declared officially by the state of West Virginia in 1910, and the rest of the states followed quickly. (Quickly being a relative term)

On May 9, 1914, President Woodrow Wilsom issued a proclamation, declaring the first national Mother's Day.

In 1934, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt approved a stamp commemorating the holiday.

In May 2008, the U.S. House of Representatives voted twice on a resolution commemorating Mother's Day, the first one being unanimous so that all congressman would be on record showing support for Mother's Day.

In my fact finding about the history of Mother's Day, I find it interesting that it took a woman to recognize the need to honor the wonderful women who shaped who we are today. I find it even more interesting that it wasn't until recently that the House of Representatives voted unanimously in support of Mother's Day. It has taken 66 years to make this day a reality. I hope, individually, we are not as slow to honor and show appreciation for our wonderful mothers.

Mom, there are not enough words to express my gratitude for all that you do for me. Grace and I are who we are today because of you and we didn't turn out too bad if I say so myself. Love you always!

Audra, thank you for my wonderful daughters. I will be forever in your debt. They are sweet, spunky, stressful, funny, crazy, amazing and are absolutely (without a doubt) the center of my universe. Salamat at mahal kita.

Grace, you are an amazing mom. You make it all look so effortless to take care of 3 kids that will one day (in a month or so... hahaha) be bigger than you.

I will end my shout outs here but to all moms out there... Happy Mother's Day!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet...very nicely said.

Audra said...

Very beautiful! What an awesome tribute to the women in your life!

grace said...

Thanks!