Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tennessee Trip

My work took me to Pulaski, TN this week. It turns out that the Ku Klux Klan was first organized in this town back in 1865. Why didn't anyone tell me? I figured I was safe when we went to a local barbeque place and noticed that I was not the only Yankee.



Pulaski does have other redeeming qualities though. We visited the Milky Way Farm which was owned by the Mars family. It is over 800 acres and had multiple houses and barns and stables, a race track, and a polo field. Unfortunately, it was deserted, run down, and for sale.




At the gate.




Stables.

Servant house made from rocks from the area. The walls are rounded.


Inside one of the servant houses. The floor, walls and ceiling followed the contour of the house.


I drove through the an Amish community in Lawrenceburg. I couldn't resist playing Weird Al's Amish Paradise on my ipod. Give me a break. I was by myself.

I drove past several horse and buggies but I couldn't take a picture without offending the Amish. They believe that cameras steal their souls (or so I was told).

A typical family (according to my steel fabricator) has about 13 kids all about a year apart.




This house had a set of bird houses made from squash? I can't remember what they were called.


There were at least three school houses that I drove by. Each school house has a separate outhouse for girls and boys situated in the back of the school. Kids only go to school until they are 13 years old and take breaks during planting and harvesting seasons to help their families.


Organic farms.

Each house advertised the trade that the families make. This family happens to be Haters.



I wish I had a little more time to visit all the music history sites and the civil war stuff. I decided that though I don't like to read about history, I do like to visit the historical sites.

1 comment:

grace said...

that's very cool, I've always been intrigued.